Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
A Warning For Those Who Let Down The Lower Garment (Below Their Ankles)
 From Malik from Al-‘Ala Ibn Abdurahman from his father (Abdurahman Ibn Ya’qub) that I asked Abu Sa’id al-Khudri (Radi Allahu Anhu) about wearing the lower garment. He said: I will inform you about it with knowledge. I heard the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) say: The way for a believer to wear a lower garment is to have it halfway down his legs and he is guilty of no sin if it comes halfway between that and the ankles, but what comes lower than the ankles is in Hell. (He repeated this three times). On the day of Resurrection Allah will not look at the individual who trails his lower garment conceitedly.
[GRADING] – [IT’S CHAIN IS SAHIH]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (2/914, 915 hadith no.1764, book 48, chapter 5, hadith no.12), at-Tamhid (20/225) al-Istidhkar (no.1696)
Transmitted by Ibn Hibban (al-Ihsaan no.5423) from the hadith of Malik and Abu Dawud (no.4093) from the hadith of al-‘Ala
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said to Abu Jurai Jabir Ibn Sulaim (Radi Allahu Anhu), “Beware of trailing the lower garment, for it is arrogance and Allah does not like arrogance.” (Sunan Abi Dawud no.4084 and it’s chain is [Sahih])
It is known that having the lower garment below the ankles is an unrestricted sign of having arrogance. The exception to this is the person who always tries to ensure that his lower garment is above his ankles however due to his human nature and becoming forgetful etc. the lower garment goes below the ankles by mistake. Note that the length of the izar should be so that it can doesn’t go below the ankles meaning it should be short however if there is a Sharia compliant excuse then that will be an exception. Ibn Mas’ud (Radi Allahu Anhu) narrated that he used to put the lower garment down because his legs (calves) looked unattractive. See Musanaf Ibn Abi Shaibah (8/202 hadith no.24806 and it’s chain is Strong)
2) Ibn Umar (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, “What the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said about the lower garment also applies to a shirt.” (Sunan Abi Dawud no.4095 and it’s chain is [Hasan])
3) The famous Mufasir Imam Mujahid said, “Whichever person’s lower garment touches his ankles then his Salah is not accepted.” (Musanaf Ibn Abi Shaibah 8/201, hadith no.24804 and it’s chain is [Sahih])
This is also supported by the famous hadith which mentions that the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) commanded an individual to redo the wudhu whose lower garment was below his ankles. (Sunan Abi Dawud no.638, as-Sunan al-Kubra al-Bayhaqi 2/242 with another chain and it’s chain is [Hasan], Abu Ja’far al-Mu’athin was Thiqah according to Tirmidhi and Ibn Hibban
4) Also see hadith no.165
5) One should explain the ruling with evidences.
6) Hadith is also knowledge.