Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Can a Blind Man be an Imam and a Legislated Reason to Pray at Home
Mahmud Ibn Rabee’ al-Ansari: One hadith
 From Maalik from Ibn Shihaab from Mahmood Ibn Rabee’ al-Ansari that Etbaan Ibn Maalik, who was a blind man, used to lead his people in prayer, and he said to the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) “Sometimes it is dark and rainy and there is a lot of water around outside, and I am a man who has lost his sight. Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) pray in a certain place in my house so that I can take it as a place to pray.” The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) came to him and said, “Where would you like me to pray?” He indicated a place to him and the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) prayed there.
[GRADING] – [SAHEEH]
Ibn Shihaab az-Zuhree clarified hearing (this hadeeth from Mahmood Ibn Rabee’ al-Ansari (RadhiAllaahu Anhu)) in Bukharee (no.425)
[REFERENCES] – [BUKHAREE]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (1/172 hadeeth no.416, book 9, chapter 24, hadeeth no.86), at-Tamheed (6/226, 227) and al-Istidhkaar (no.386)
Transmitted by Bukharee (no.667) from the hadeeth of Maalik and the narration of Muslim ((no.33) after hadeeth (no.657)) from the hadeeth of Ibn Shihaab az-Zuhree with the same meaning
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADEETH]
1) On the basis of a valid excuse legislated in the Sharee’ah, praying or leading the prayer in the home is allowed.
2) Taking tabarruk from the noble Prophet’s (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) remnants (traces of what he left behind) is correct.
3) In another hadith the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) did not give permission to Etban (RadhiAllaahu Anhu) to pray in his house. (Musnad Ahmad (4/43) and Tabaqaat Ibn Sa’d (3/550) and (6/229)) However because of the tadlees of Sufyan Ibn Uyaynah and Zuhree along with doubt being in the chain this narration is weak and rejected.
4) Performing prayer with the congregation is necessary except when there is a valid excuse legislated in the Sharee’ah.
5) It is allowed to make a pious person do the (first grand initial) opening of a Masjid, school, house and other than it.
6) It is allowed to make a reserved (allocated) part of the house for prayer.
7) It is not necessary to have a Masjid for a certain area in order to pray in a congregation.
8) A blind man being an Imaam in leading (the prayer) is completely correct and allowed in the Sharee’ah.