Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
All Of The Meat Of Animals (Carnivores) With Fangs (Canine Teeth, i.e. Carnivores) Are Haram
Isma’il Ibn Abi Hakim: One hadith
 From Malik from Isma’il Ibn Abi Hakim from Ubaida Ibn Sufyan al-Hadrami from Abu Huraira (Radi Allahu Anhu) that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “The eating of all fanged beasts (predators) of prey is unlawful.”
[GRADING] – [IT’S CHAIN IS SAHIH]
[REFERENCES] – [MUSLIM]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (2/496 hadith no.1097 and Malik said,”And it is an affair (which is accepted) with us”, book 25, chapter 4, hadith no.14), at-Tamhid (1/139) and he said,”and this hadith is established as being authentic and its authenticity is agreed upon” and al-Istidhkar (no.1029)
Transmitted by Muslim (15/1933) from the hadith of Malik
 from the narration of Yahya Ibn Yahya it has come in the original “Sitin (Sixty)”
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) From the general wording of the hadith it is understood that all the types of predators such as dogs, cats, foxes, wolves, lions, scorpions and hyenas etc. are haram.
2) From the viewpoint of this hadith, it abrogates the narration which mentions that Hyena’s are a type of prey.
3) This hadith is classified as being a principle therefore if any animal, which we know of or don’t know of yet, meets the mentioned characteristics then eating it becomes haram.
4) Ibn Abdul Bar said, “It is necessary to understand the prohibition which is mentioned in the marfu hadith to be of tahrimi (i.e. haram) except if there is a specific proof (Qarina) that it should be understood as being highly recommended.” See at-Tamhid (1/140)
5) The evidence will either be mentioned from the Quran or Sunnah or Ijma will support it or the proof will be understood from the righteous predecessors.
6) There is an Ijma of the Muslims that those things which are impure (for example feces etc.) is impure for every individual and is severely haram which is not halal in any condition.
7) There is no difference of opinion between the Muslim scholars that the eating and selling of monkeys is not allowed. Ibn Abdul Bar said, “According to me the same ruling applies to Elephants.” (at-Tamhid 1/157)
8) The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) prohibited taking the skins of predators. (as-Sunan al-Kubra of al-Bayhaqi 1/21 and its chain is [Hasan] good)
Therefore these skins do not become pure from tanning. Some people say that the skin of dogs becomes pure from tanning and therefore it is allowed to make a prayer mat or bucket from it. However since this goes against the above hadith this is rejected.
9) The fish known to be called Sharks are classified as being predators too, therefore it is not halal to eat them. and Allah knows best. For more detailed fiqhi benefits see the previous hadith no.52 and no.76