Kitab al-Arabin – 40 Hadith of Shaikh ul-Islam Imam Ibn Taymiyyah
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Hadith Number 1
Hajj Ifrad and Hajj Tamatu And The Ruling of the Messenger of Allah Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam
Al-Imaam Zaynudeen Abul Abbaas Ahmad Ibn Abdid Daa’im Ibn Ni’mata Ibn Ahmad al-Maqdasee reported to us – he recited it and I heard him in the year 677 Hijri, Abul Faraj Abdul Mun’im Ibnu Abdil Wahhaab Ibne Sa’d Ibne Kulayb reported to us – he read it: Abul Qaasim Alee Ibnu Ahmad Ibne Muhammad Ibne Bayaan ar-Razzaaz reported to us – he read it: Abul Hasan Muhammad Ibn Muhammad Ibn Muhammad Ibn Ibraheem Ibn Mukhlad al-Bazzaaz reported to us: Aboo Alee Isma’eel Ibn Muhammad Ibn Isma’eel as-Saffaar reported us: al-Hasan Ibn Arafah Ibn Yazeed al-Abdee narrated to us: Aboo Bakr Ibn Ayaash narrated to me from Abee Ishaaq as-Sabe’ee from al-Bara Ibn Aazib, he said:
“The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) and his Companions came out to us and we entered Ihram for Hajj. When we came to Makkah, he said: ‘Make your Hajj (to) ‘Umrah.’ The people said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, we have entered Ihram for Hajj, how can we make it ‘Umrah?’ He said: ‘Look at what I command you to do, and do it.’ They repeated their question and he got angry and went away. Then he entered upon ‘Aishah angry and she saw anger in his face, and said: ‘Who has made you angry? May Allah vex him!’ He said: ‘Why should I not get angry, when I give a command and it is not obeyed?’”
Narrated by an-Nasa’ee and Ibn Maajah from the hadeeth (chain) of Abee Bakr Ibn Ayaash.
He was born in the month of Safar, year 575 Hijri.
And he died on Monday 8th of Rajab, year 668 Hijri.
[GRADING AND REFERENCES] – [It’s chain is [Da’eef] weak]
Hasan Ibn Urfah narrated this in his Juz (hadeeth no.31) and Hafidh Ibn Taymiyah narrated in his chain through Hasan Ibn Urfah.
Also Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal (4/286) narrated this from Abu Bakr Ibn Ayaash.
For more details see Sunan Ibn Maajah (no.2982) and as-Sunan al-Kubraa of an-Nasa’ee (6/56 hadeeth no.10017)
This chain of narration is [Da’eef] weak for three reasons:
1. Abu Ishaaq Amr Ibn Abdullah as-Sabe’ee is a Thiqah Mudallis, and this narration is from An (TN. he narrates with using Ann from Bara Ibn Aazib (RadhiAllaahu Anhu)) (See Tabaqaatul Mudalliseen of Ibn Hajr (91/3)
2. Abu Ishaaq is a Mukhtalit (makes mistakes, mixes things up) and the hearing of Abu Bakr Ibn Ayaash from him before he did Ikhtilaat is not established. (See al-Kawakibul Neeraat Fee Ma’rifa Min Ikhtilaat Minar Ruwat uth-Thiqaat (pg.341-356)
3. Abu Haatim ar-Razee said, “And Abu Bakr (Ibn Ayaash) hearing from Abu Ishaaq is not al-Qawee (strong).” (Ilal ul-Hadeeth (1/35) hadeeth no.69)
Note: Hafidh Ibn Taymiyah generally describes his teacher’s birth or death, or both of them at the end of the hadeeth.
[BIOGRAPHY OF THE NARRATOR OF THE HADEETH]
Baraa Ibn Aaazib (RadhiAllaahu Anhu)
A Summarised discussion of Baraa Ibn Aaazib (RadhiAllaahu Anhu) is as follows:
Name and lineage:
Abu Amaarah Baraa Ibn Aazib Ibn Haarith Ibn Aadee Mujda’ah Ibn Haarithah Ibn Haarith Ibn Khazraj Ibn Amr Ibn Maalik Ibn Aws al-Ansaari al-Haarithee al-Awsee (RadhiAllaahu Anhu)
His (Baraa Ibn Aazib (RadhiAllaahu Anhu)) father was also a companion.
His mother’s name is Habeebah bint Abee Habeebah Ibn Hubbaab Ibn Anas or Umm Khaalid bint Thaabit Bin Sinnaan. He was Aboo Sa’eed al-Khudree’s paternal uncle’s son.
Aboo Umar Zaadaan al-Kindee, Sa’eed Ibn al-Musayyab, Aamir ash-Shu’bee, Abdurahmaan Ibn Abee Layla, Ubayd Ibn Baraa Ibn Aazib, Aboo Ishaaq as-Sabe’ee, Yazeed Ibn Baraa Ibn Aazib and Aboo Burdah Ibn Abee Moosa al-Ash’aree and other than them. May Allah have mercy on all of them.
He was not allowed to participate in the battle of Badr because of not having reached the age of puberty and also did not participate in Uhud. He participated in many of remaining battles with the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam).
1. Bara Ibn Aazib said, “I have taken part in 15 battles with the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) (against the disbelievers), me and Abdullah Ibn Umar are the same age.” (Tabaqaat Ibn Sa’d (4/368) and its chain is authentic)
2. Abu Busrah al-Ghifaree (al-Juhanee Rahimahullah) narrates that Bara Ibn Aazib al-Ansaari said, “I accompanied the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) on eighteen journeys and I never saw him fail to pray two rak’ahs when the sun had passed the meridian before offering the noon prayer.” (Sunan Abee Dawood: (no.1222), and its chain is [Hasan li-Dhatihee] good in itself and al-Haakim authenticated it on the conditions of the two Shaykhs (Bukharee and Muslim) and adh-Dhahabee agreed with him!)
3. He recited (meaning learned) some surah’s before the delightful coming of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam) to Madeenah Tayyibah meaning before the Hijrah (TN. Of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhee Was-Sallam)) (See Tabaqaat Ibn Sa’d (4/368) and its chain is authentic)
Knowledge of narrations:
He narrated 305 ahadeeth, from which 22 are in the Saheehayn (15 in Saheeh Bukharee and 6 indivudal in Saheeh Muslim and the remaining are (TN.in) common (TN.books)). See Seer A’laam an-Nubalaa (3/196)
He passed away in 72 or 71 Hijri over the age of 80 years old. (RadhiAllaahu Anhu)