Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
The Close Relatives Should Be Given Priority When Giving Charity
 From Malik from Ishaq Ibn Abdillah Ibn Abi Talha from Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) he said, “Abu Talha (Radi Allahu Anhu) had more property of date-palm trees gardens than any other amongst the Ansar in Medina and the most beloved of them to him was Bairuha garden, and it was in front of the Masjid of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam). Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) used to go there and used to drink its nice sweet water.” Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu) added, “When these ayat were revealed ‘By no means shall you Attain righteousness unless You spend (in charity) of that Which you love. ‘ (Sura no.3 al-Imran aya no.92)
Abu Talha (Radi Allahu Anuh) said to Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) ‘O Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam)! Allah, the Blessed, the Superior says in the Quran: “By no means shall you attain righteousness, unless you spend (in charity) of that which you love.” (Sura no.3 al-Imran aya no.92) And no doubt, Bairuha garden is the most beloved of all my property to me. So I want to give it in charity in Allah’s Cause and I hope its reward from Allah. O Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam)! Spend it where Allah makes you think it feasible.’ On that Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, ‘Bravo! It is a useful property. I have heard what you have said (O Abu Talha), and I think it would be proper if you gave it to your family and relatives.’ So Abu Talha (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, I will do so, O Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam).’ Then Abu Talha (Radi Allahu Anhu) distributed that garden amongst his relatives and his cousins (paternal uncle’s sons).”
[GRADING] – [IT’S CHAIN IS SAHIH]
[REFERENCES] – [AGREED UPON]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (2/995, 996 hadith no.1940, book 58, chapter 1, hadith no.2), at-Tamhid (1/198) and al-Istidhkar (no.1877)
Transmitted by Bukhari (no.1461, no.2752) and Muslim (42/998) from the hadith of Malik
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) This hadith shows the tremendous virtue of Abu Talha (Radi Allahu Anhu). He spent his most beloved wealth in the path of Allah.
2) The noble companions were always ready to sacrifice their wealth and lives for the sake of the Quran and Sunnah.
3) You should give preference to your close relatives when it comes to good deeds, keeping the ties of kinship, honoring, good behavior and charity. This is the best thing to do.
4) Having love for wealth is a natural thing on the condition that it does not go against the Sharia. Making plantations etc. and letting the noble scholars benefit from it is all allowed.
5) It is allowed to act upon the general meaning unless there is a specific proof which gives an exception.
6) Whosoever gives something in charity will not have the right to ask for it back in return.
7) You should spend the best things in the path of Allah, whether that is wealth or your life and therefore you should choose the best and most intelligent people to teach religious knowledge to your children.
8) The action of Abu Talha (Radi Allahu Anhu) is one of the best commentaries on the blessed ayah , “By no means shall you Attain righteousness…” Subhan Allah
9) The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) commanded Abu Talha (Radi Allahu Anhu) to distribute his wealth to his close relatives. The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam’s) amazing amount of generosity is established from this.