Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Half Of The Reward Will Be Received If One Sits Down And Prays
Chapter of the seven alif, to all of them is 19 ahadith. Isma’il Ibn Muhamad Ibn Sa’d Ibn Abi Waqas: One hadith
 From Malik from Isma’il Ibn Muhamad Ibn Sa’d Ibn Abi Waqas from the mawla of Amr Ibn al-‘As or Abdullah Ibn Amr from Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn al-As (Radi Allahu Anhu) that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “The reward for the prayer of one of you who sits down and prays (the optional prayer) is half the amount for the one received for the prayer of one of you who stands up and prays (the optional prayer).”
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (1/136 hadith no.305, book 8, chapter 6, hadith no.19), at-Tamhid (1/131), and he authenticated it, and al-Istidhkar (no.375)
Transmitted by al-Johari in Musnad al-Muwatta (no.271) from the hadith of Malik and there is an Ila (hidden defect) in it, and the hadith has an authentic witnessing report in Sahih Muslim (no.735) and this authenticates the hadith. wal-Hamdullilah
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) The one who prays the optional prayer standing up has twice as virtuous then the one who sits down and prays the optional prayer.
2) There is an Ijma that the obligatory prayer of one who does not stand up and pray whilst he has the ability to do so becomes invalid and it is obligatory for him to repeat his prayer. For the individual who is incapable of standing then the obligation of standing to pray becomes waived and is not applicable for him.
3) There is an Ijma that standing in the obligatory prayer is an obligation for the one who has the ability and in the optional prayer he has a choice. There is an exception to this rule which is established from authentic ahadith that mentions if the Imam sits down to perform the obligatory prayer due to a sharia compliant excuse then all the people praying behind the Imam will sit down and pray even if they have the ability to stand. See the previous hadith no.1. For the Ijma on performing the obligatory prayer standing see at-Tamhid (1/136)
4) How should an individual sit down and pray if they have to due to a sharia compliant excuse? Some scholars say that the individual should sit down in the whole prayer by being in the tashahud position and act on the the pillars of the salah and the sunan of the salah for example the prostration will be much lower than the bowing. Some scholars say that in the standing position the individual will sit on four joints and during the tashahud position the person will sit as per the tashahud. Some scholars say that the individual will pray by sitting on ones backside and have the knees standing. From all these sayings only the first one is most correct. One should remember that you should perform the tawrak in the last rak’ah if it is possible just as it is establisehd from the Sunnah.
5) Nowadays there are some people who perform the optional prayer by sitting down deliberately without any sharia compliant excuse. Whilst there is no sharia compliant proof for doing this type of behavior rather this is a means of getting a decrease in reward.
6) See hadith no.455