Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
It Is Not Allowed To Blow On A Drink
Ayub Ibn Habib: One Hadith
 From Malik from Ayub Ibn Habib Mawla of Sa’d Ibn Abi Waqas from Abil Muthana al-Juhani that he said, I was present with Marwan Ibn Hakam whilst Abu Sa’id al-Khudri (Radi Allahu Anhu) entered so Marwan Ibn Hakam asked him, Have you heard from the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) that it is prohibited to blow on drinks (water etc.)? So Abu Sa’id al-Khudri (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, Yes. A man said: O Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) I can not drink in one breath (as I still stay thirsty). He (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said: “Then remove the cup away from your mouth.” He said, (What about if) I see something floating in it (i.e. in the drink?) He (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said: “Then spill it out.”
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (2/925 hadith no.1783, book 49, chapter 7, hadith no.12), at-Tamhid (1/391) al-Istidhkar (no.1715)
And transmitted by at-Tirmidhi (no.1887, and he said: [Hasan Sahih]), and Ibn Hibban (al-Mawarid no.1367), and al-Hakim (4/139) all of them from the hadith of Malik.
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) From this hadith it is known that it is prohibited to blow on a hot drink such as milk, tea etc. in order to cool it down. Likewise it is prohibited to blow on the drink to remove straws etc.
2) If there is a Sharia compliant excuse then a scholar can go to the leader on the condition that the scholar says the word of truth and does not go for any personal selfish reason.
3) It is allowed to drink water in one gulp (breathe) however it is better to drink it in three gulps (breathes).
4) This hadith is an excellent refutation of those people who blow on water bottles or dishes etc. for cures or blessings.
5) If an individual does not know about an issue then he should ask the scholar, and the scholar should give the answer with proofs rather it is better to reference the proofs when giving the answer.
6) One should inspect the water etc. before drinking it.