Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
One Should Make An Effort In Teaching Duas
Ta’us: Two Ahadith
 From Malik from Abu az-Zubair from Ta’us al-Yamani from Abdullah Ibn Abbas (Radi Allahu Anhu) that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) used to teach them this supplication, with the same emphasis in which he used to teach them a sura of the Quran. He (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) would thus instruct us:
“Say, O Allah, I seek refuge with you from the torment of Hell. And I seek refuge with you from the torment of the grave, and I seek refuge with you from the trial of al-Masih ad-Dajjal, and I seek refuge with you from the trial of life and death.”
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
[REFERENCES] – [MUSLIM]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (1/215 hadith no.502, book 15, chapter 8, hadith no.33), at-Tamhid (12/185) and al-Istidhkar (no.471)
Transmitted by Muslim (no.590) from the hadith of Malik and narrated by Abdullah Ibn Ta’us from his father in a summarised form.
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) The punishment in the grave is a reality. The Ahlus Sunnah have no difference of opinion about this therefore having belief in this is necessary and having this aqidah is correct. See at-Tamhid (12/186)
2) The greater Dajjal (a one eyed liar) will appear before the day of Judgement. May Allah protect us from his evil.
3) During ones lifetime there are many trials in the dunya and the religion such as family and wealth. The meaning of the trial of death is the trial at the time of death, the punishment of the grave and the punishment of the day of Judgement.
4) According to some scholars the above mentioned dua is wajib meaning obligatory to recite in the Salah. However what is most correct is that this dua is not obligatory rather it is Sunnah to recite in the Salah just as it is established from other ahadith. See Sahih Bukhari (no.835) and Sahih Muslim (no.402)
5) One should take time out to learn duas, adhkar and incantations because this is the weapon of the believers.
6) The hadith is classed as being a sharia evidence and Allah is responsible in protecting it.
7) Also see hadith no.207