Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
The Leftover Food And Drink Of A Cat
Humaidah Bint Ubaid: One hadith
 From Malik from Ishaq Ibn Abdillah Ibn Abi Talha from Humaidah Bint Ubaid Ibn Rifa’a from Kabsha Bint Ka’b Ibn Malik Kabshah, daughter of Ka’b ibn Malik and wife of Ibn Abu Qatadah, reported: Abu Qatadah visited (me) and I poured out water for him for ablution (into a vessel). A cat came and drank some of it and he tilted the vessel for it until it drank some of it. Kabshah said: He saw me looking at him; he asked me: Are you surprised, my niece? I said: Yes. He then reported the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) as saying: It is not unclean; it is one of those who go round among you (in houses).
[GRADING] – [IT’S CHAIN IS SAHIH]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (1/22, 23, hadith no.41, book 2, chapter 3, hadith no.13), at-Tamhid (1/318) and al-Istidhkar (no.44)
Transmitted by Abu Dawud (no.75) and at-Tirmidhi (no.92 and he said, “[Hasan Sahih]“) and Ibn Majah (no.367), and Nasa’i 1/55 hadith no.68, all of them from the hadith of Malik and authenticated by Ibn Khuzaimah (no.104) and Ibn Hibban (no.121) and al-Hakim (1/160) and adh-Dhahabi agreed with him.
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) Every answer to a question should be given with evidence.
2) If there is no impurity on the mouth of a cat then the leftover food or drink that it has eaten or drank is not impure.
3) It is not a condition that a narrator has to be a male for an Sahih Khabar Wahid to constitute as being a proof rather if a trustworthy and upright female reports a narration then the Khabar Wahid is a prof. It is known from this that there is definitely a difference between a narration and a witnessing.
4) A cat is not indefinitely impure like a Dog or Pig.
5) It is allowed to raise a cat in the house.
6) The individuals who do not know about an issue should ask the scholars of truth (for clarification) so they can know what the Sharia ruling is.
7) One should be gentle and kind towards animals.
8) There is easiness in the Sharia rulings and it covers a wide scope.
9) The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “Whichever vessel the cat has put it’s mouth in you should wash that vessel once or twice.” (Sunan Daraqutni 1/64, 67 and it’s chain is [Sahih] and al-Hakim authenticated it on the conditions of the two Shaikhs 1/160 and adh-Dhahabi agreed with him)