Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
The Qurbani Meat Can Be Eaten For Longer Than 3 Days
 From Malik from Abu az-Zubair from Jabir Ibn Abdullah as-Sulami (Radi Allahu Anhu) that that Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) forbade eating the flesh of sacrificed animals beyond three (days). then he said afterwards, “Eat, give in charity, make a provision and keep (store) it.”
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
[REFERENCES] – [MUSLIM]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (2/484 hadith no.1065, book 23, chapter 4, hadith no.6), at-Tamhid (12/163) and al-Istidhkar (no.999)
Transmitted by Muslim (29/1972) from the hadith of Malik and narrated by Ata Ibn Abi Rabah from Jabir with the same meaning and Abu az-Zubair clarified hearing this hadith from Jabir Ibn Abdullah as-Sulami (Radi Allahu Anhu) in Ahmad (3/378 hadith no.15042)
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) The ruling of prohibition in eating Qurbani meat after 3 days is abrogated. Also see hadith no.309
2) It is correct to use and eat the Qurbani meat yourself in addition to storing it. Additionally, giving it in charity or to relatives, friends and other than them as a gift is a good thing.
3) From the understanding of this hadith it is known that there are 3 days for Qurbani. In connection to this a summarised research of this issue is below:
All those narrations which mention that the days of tashriq are all days for sacrifice, are all weak and not established.
Ibn Umar (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, “The sacrifice can be done up to two days after the Day of Sacrifice.” (Muwatta Imam Malik 2/487, hadith no.1071 and its chain is [Sahih] authentic)
Ibn Abbas (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, “There are two additional days of sacrifice after the first day of sacrifice and the most virtuous sacrifice is the one performed on the first day of slaughtering.” (Ahkam ul-Quran of at-Tahawi 2/205 hadith no.1576 and it is [Sahih] authentic)
Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, “There are two days of sacrifice after the first day.” (Ahkam ul-Quran of at-Tahawi 2/206 hadith no.1571 and it is [Sahih] authentic)
Ali (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, “There are three days for sacrifice.” (Ahkam ul-Quran of at-Tahawi 2/205 hadith no.1569 and it is [Hasan] good)
This is the position of the majority of the companions and majority of the scholars and this is the most correct.
For more details see the al-Hadith magazine Hazro: edition no.44, pg.6-11
4) It is allowed to allocate parts of the Qurbani meat. A part for oneself, another part for the poor and the third part for relatives and friends. It is also allowed to not allocate parts.
5) In the Islamic Sharia the aim of abrogated (previous rule) and abrogating (new rule) was part of educating and reforming the society. Therefore one should now act upon the new rule as opposed to the abrogated (previous ruling).