Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
You Should Not Be Impatient After Making Dua
 from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Abu Ubayd, the mawla of Ibn Azhar, from Abu Hurayra (Radi Allahu Anhu) that the Messenger of Allah, (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “You will be answered as long as you are not impatient and say, ‘I have made a dua and I have not been answered .’ “
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Shihab az-Zuhri clarified hearing (this hadith from Abu Ubayd Mawla Ibn Azhar) in Muslim (91/2735)
[REFERENCES] – [AGREED UPON]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration 1/213 hadith no.498, book 15, chapter 8, hadith no.29), at-Tamhid (10/296), al-Istidhkar: (no.467)
Transmitted by Bukhari (no.6340) and Muslim (no.2735) from the hadith of Malik.
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) In the explanation to this hadith Ibn Abdul Bar says:
In this hadith there is proof that the ayah, “Invoke Me and I will respond to your (invocation).” Surah Gafir ayah no.60, is not general in meaning, rather it is specific (has conditions). (at-Tamhid 10/296) Ibn Abdul Bar also presented Surah al-‘An’aam ayah 41, “if He wills, He would remove that (distress) for which you call upon Him” as proof also.
2) There are many manners and pillars to make dua for example:
1. Dua should only be done to Allah alone
2. Dua should not be done to other than Allah
3. Your heart should convinced that your dua will be accepted
4. Whilst making dua you should keep your mind and heart focused without it being distracted, rather you should have full attention towards Allah
5. The Qur’aan and Sunnah should be completely followed and every type of innovation in the religion should be avoided (whilst making dua) etc.
3) Also see hadith no.336
4) The famous Tabi’i Imam Zayd Ibn Aslam said, “Whoever makes dua then there are three outcomes:
1. His dua is accepted (immediately)
2. Or his Dua is accepted at a later date
3. Or it becomes an expiation (for his sins)
(al-Muwatta Yahya’s narration 1/217, hadith no. 505 and its chain is [Sahih] authentic)
5) The famous Tabi’i Imam Sa’id Ibn al-Musayab said that a (dying person) person after (his death) is raised high because of the dua of his children meaning he gets a high station. (al-Muwatta Yahya’s narration 1/217, hadith no. 507 and its chain is [Sahih] authentic)
6) You should never despair or lose hope of Allah’s mercy.
7) You should not complain that I have made dua however it has not been accepted.