Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
It Is Allowed To Perform The Optional Prayers In Congregation Sometimes
 From Malik from Ishaq Ibn Abdillah Ibn Abi Talha from Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) that my grandmother Mulaika (Radi Allahu Anha) invited Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) for a meal which she had prepared specially for him. He (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) ate some of it and said, “Get up. I shall lead you in the prayer.” I brought a mat that had become black owing to excessive use and I sprinkled water on it. Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) stood on it and prayed two rakat; and the orphan was with me (in the first row), and the old lady (Mulaika (Radi Allahu Anha)) stood behind us.
[GRADING] – [IT’S CHAIN IS SAHIH]
[REFERENCES] – [AGREED UPON]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (1/153 hadith no.359, book 9, chapter 9, hadith no.31), at-Tamhid (1/263) and al-Istidhkar (no.329)
Transmitted by Bukhari (no.860) and Muslim (no.658) from the hadith of Malik
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) During Salah the men should be in the first row behind the Imam and the women should stand in the row behind the men.
2) If the first row does not have men then it is allowed for children to stand there. Rather it is established as being a Sunnah from this hadith.
3) It is not allowed for men and women to stand in the same row next to each other to pray Salah.
4) Apart from the accepting invitations for a Walimah, it is also Sunnah to accept other invitations as long as you do not have a Sharia compliant excuse.
5) When one Imam and two people are reading the Salah together, then the Imam will stand at the front separately (and the two people will stand behind).
6) The meaning of ‘the old lady’ who is mentioned in the hadith is the grandmother Mulaikah or Um Sulaim (Radi Allahu Anhuma). And Allah knows best
7) From this hadith and other ahadith it is established that if one woman stands on her own behind the row of men during congregational Salah then her Salah will be valid. However if a man stands on his own behind the row in the congregational Salah to pray then his Salah will not be valid and it will be obligatory for him to repeat his Salah.
8) There is no difference in opinion meaning there is an ijma on the issue that if there are two men and one woman who are performing the Salah together then one man will stand on the right side of the Imam and the woman will stand on her own behind them. This hadith was about the optional duha prayer therefore it establishes the fact that it is allowed to sometimes perform the optional prayers in congregation.
9) Generally it is allowed to perform the Salah in the house on a spread out rug or mat etc. on the condition that it is clean.