Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Recitation Behind the Imam
Ibn Ukaimah al-Laythi: One Hadith
 from Malik from Ibn Shihab from Ibn Ukaima al-Laythi from Abu Huraira (Radi Allahu Anhu) that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) finished a prayer in which he had recited aloud and asked, “Did any of you recite with me just now?” One man said, “Yes, I did, Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam).” The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “I was saying to myself, ‘Why am I distracted from the Quran?’ (Zuhri said)”When the people heard the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) say that, they refrained from reciting with the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) when he recited aloud.
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Shihab az-Zuhri clarified hearing (this hadith from Ibn Ukaimah al-Laythi) in Humaydi (with my grading, no.959)
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration 1/86 hadith no.190, book 3, chapter 10, hadith no.44), at-Tamhid (11/23), al-Istidhkar: (no.166)
Transmitted by Abu Dawud (no.826) and Tirmidhi (no.312 and he said: [Hasan] good) and Nasa’i (2/140, 141 hadith no.920) from the hadith of Malik and authenticated by Ibn Hibban (al-Mawarid: no.454)
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) Imam Bayhaqi has declared Umara Ibn Ukaimah al-Laythi as being “an unknown man” (as-Sunan al-Kubra 2/159 and Kitab al-Qira’at no.327)
However Tirmidhi and Ibn Hibban and other than them have said he is trustworthy (based on authenticating etc.) therefore it is most correct that Ibn Ukaimah is trustworthy.
2) Imam Tirmidhi said, “There is nothing in this hadith which can criticise the person who is the saying of recitation (of fatiha) behind the imam” (Sunan at-Tirmidhi no.312)
3) The narrator of this hadith, Abu Huraira (Radi Allahu Anhu), is himself of the saying for (reciting) fatiha behind the Imam in other loud prayers. See hadith no.139
4) “When the people…(to the end of the sentence in the hadith)” are the words of Imam Zuhri which have ended up becoming part of the hadith and this is not established with an authentic chain to be the words of Abu Huraira (Radi Allahu Anhu). See al-Takhlis al-Habir (1/231 hadith no.343) and Nasrul Bari fi Tahqiq Juz Qira’at al-Bukhari (no.95)
Note: The narration in Sunan Abu Dawud (no.827) is rejected because of the chain being broken (where it says) “From Zuhri he said Abu Huraira” See Nasrul Bari (page no.153)
5) To see the detailed proofs of (reciting) fatiha behind the Imam see hadith no.139 and (the book) ‘al-Kawakib ad-Duriyah fi Wujub al-Fatiha Khalf al-Imam fil Bahriyah’
6) Reciting loudly behind the Imam is not allowed unless there is a Sharia compliant excuse.
7) For a detailed analysis and research on the topic of reciting behind the Imam see Imam Bukhari’s book Juz Qira’at (with my verification: Nasrul Bari fi Tahqiq Juz Qira’at of Bukhari) and studying the book of the Muhadith Abdurahman Mubarakpori Tahqiq al-Kalam is very beneficial.