Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
All of the Meat of Animals (Carnivores) With Fangs (Canine Teeth, i.e. Carnivores) is Haram
 From Malik from Ibn Shibab from Abu Idris al-Khawlani from Abu Tha’laba al-Khushani that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) prevented us from eating animals with fangs.
[GRADING] – [SAHEEH]
Ibn Shihab az-Zuhri clarified hearing (this hadith from Abu Idris al-Khawlani) in Bukhari (no.5781)
[REFERENCES] – [AGREED UPON]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration 2/496 hadith no.1096 with the words, “”It is haram to eat animal’s with fangs”, book 25, chapter 4, hadith no.13), at-Tamhid (11/6), al-Istidhkar: (no.1028)
Transmitted by Bukhari (no.5530) and Muslim (14/1932) from the hadith of Malik
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) From this hadith it is known that (eating) dogs, cats, lions, cheetah’s, monkeys is haram. The prohibition here is a haram ie unlawful as it is established from Yahya Ibn Yahya’s and Abu Hurairah’s narration. See hadith no.113
2) Imam Malik said about the hadith of Abu Hurairah’s (Radiullahu Anhu), “And we act upon this” (al-Muwatta 2/496, also see hadith no.113)
3) This hadith abrogates the narration that mentions hyena’s are halal.
4) In one narration it is mentioned, “The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) forbade spreading the skin of animals (of prey – on the ground ie carpets, rugs etc.)” (as-Sunan al-Kubra of al-Bayhaqi 1/21 and its chain is [Hasan] good).
The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) prohibited the wearing of the skins of beasts of prey and riding on them?(Sunan Abu Dawud no.4131 from a lengthy hadith and its chain is [Hasan] good)
Thus the saying of some of the people, “Ba’d al-Nas (ie Hanafi’s)” tanning a dogs skin renders it lawful and therefore using it to make prayers mats and water containers (made from the skin of dogs) is erroneous and rejected due to it opposing this hadith.
5) The elephant is also haram due to having carnivorous teeth as it is mentioned under hadith no.52
6) The hadith is the explanation and commentary to the Qur’an.
7) Using a general proof in comparison to a specific proof is wrong.
8) It is permissible to specify a general text (with a specific text)
9) Hadith as a text constitutes proof and evidence
10) Someone who rejects the hadith is a hadith rejector (munkar hadith) and it does not matter whether they call themselves people of the Qur’an or a true Muslim etc.