Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
The Duha Prayer is Recommended
 And with the same chain of narration that “I never once saw the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) doing the voluntary prayer of duha (all the time), and I understand this prayer to be recommended. Sometimes the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) would refrain from a practice that he loved to do, fearing that people would do the same and it would become fard (obligatory) for them.”
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Shihab az-Zuhri clarified hearing (this hadith from Urwa Ibn az-Zubayr) in Ahmad (6/86 hadith (no.24559))
[REFERENCES] – [AGREED UPON]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration 1/152,153 hadith no.357, book 9, chapter 8, hadith no.29 and with it (the words): and I pray this prayer) at-Tamhid (8/134), al-Istidhkar: (no.127)
Transmitted by Bukhari (no.1128) and Muslim (no.718) from the hadith of Malik with the same meaning.
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) In one narration A’isha (Radi Allahu Anha) was asked, “Did the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) pray the duha prayer? And she replied, “No, except when he came back from a journey (then he prayed it) Sahih Muslim (no.717) In another narration A’isha (Radi Allahu Anha) said, “The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) prayed four rak’ahs or more for the duha prayer. (Sahih Muslim: (no.719)
It is known (from this) that according to A’isha (Radi Allahu Anha) The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) prayed the duha prayer, but he didn’t always pray it. See Sunan al-Kubra of al-Bayhaqi (3/49)
2) The duha prayer is not wajib (obligatory) or sunnah mu’akidah rather it is recommended [mustahab] and more virtuous (if it is prayed then left out). [Trans Note: Salatul Duha should not be prayed everyday as their is no clear evidence for this]
3) The duha prayer is 2, 4 or 8 rakas. Sahih Muslim (no.720 and no.721, no.719) Sahih Bukhari: (no.1176), and Sahih Muslim: (no.336) after hadith (no.719) it is sunnah to perform the salaam after every 2 rakas.
4) The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) commanded Abu Hurayrah (Radi Allahu Anhu) and Abu ad-Darda (Radi Allahu Anhu) to pray the duha prayer. (Sahih Muslim: (no.721, no.722))
5) The time for the duha prayer starts straight after sunrise and its most virtuous time (to pray it in) is when the feet of the female camel’s offspring become hot (feel the heat of the sun) (because of the sunshine). (Sahih Muslim: no.748)) This prayed is also called Salatul Awabin (the prayer of those who repent a lot). This time is approximately until the fourth part of the beginning of the day.
6) The summary of the blessed Prophet’s (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) saying is that whosoever does the ablution and leaves to the house to perform the compulsory prayer (in the masjid) then he receives the reward of Hajj and whosoever goes to pray the duha prayer then he receives the reward of Umra. Sunan Abu Dawud (no.558) and its chain is good [Hasan], and Musnad Ahmad (5/268) and All praise is due to Allah.