Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Taking additional or a reduced amount of one commodity (merchandise) is usury
Malik Ibn Aws Ibn al-Hadathani an-Nasriyu: One hadith
 From Malik from Ibn Shihab from Malik Ibn Aws Ibn al-Hadathan an-Nasri that one time he asked to exchange 100 dinars. He said, “Talha Ibn Ubaydullah called me over and we made a mutual agreement that he would make an exchange for me. He took the gold and turned it about in his hand, and then said, “I can’t do it until my treasurer brings the money to me from al-Ghabah (a jungle, forest).” Umar Ibn al-Khattab (RadhiAllaahu Anhu) was listening and Umar (RadhiAllaahu Anhu) said, “By Allah! Do not leave him until you have taken it from him!” Then he said, “The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) said, “Gold for silver is usury except hand to hand. Wheat for wheat is usury except hand to hand. Dates for dates is usury except hand to hand. Barley for barley is usury except hand to hand.”
[GRADING] – [IT’S CHAIN IS SAHIH]
[REFERENCES] – [BUKHARI]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (2/636,637 hadeeth no.1370, book 31, chapter 17, hadeeth no.38) at-Tamhid (6/281, 282) and al-Istidhkar (no.1290)
Transmitted by Bukhari (no.2174) from the hadith of Malik. And the narration of Muslim (no.1586) from the hadith of Ibn Shihab, and he clarified hearing this hadith.
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) At the time of buying and selling merchandise (commodity, item) taking additional or reduced amount than its value is usury.
2) An authentic Khabar Wahid is a proof.
3) At the time of buying and selling merchandise (commodity, item) taking credit is not allowed.
4) The noble companions were passionately dedicated to commanding the good and forbidding the evil – (RadhiAllaahu Anhum)
5) Sometimes an authentic hadith can be unknown to a major scholar.
6) No ones saying is proof compared to the authentic hadith
7) An ijtihadi mistake can occur due to lack of knowledge whereby the person doing the ijtihad is excused.
8) There are many types of usury.
9) The Islamic Shari’ah has precise arrangements put into place for the eradication of usury