Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
The Dua Of The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) For The People Of Madina
 From Malik from Ishaq Ibn Abdillah Ibn Abi Talha from Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “O Allah bestow your blessings on their measures, bless their Mudd and Sa.” The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) meant the people of Medina.
[GRADING] – [IT’S CHAIN IS SAHIH]
[REFERENCES] – [AGREED UPON]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (2/884, 885 hadith no.1701, book 45, chapter 1, hadith no.1), at-Tamhid (1/278) and al-Istidhkar (no.1631)
Transmitted by Bukhari (no.2130) and Muslim (no.1368) from the hadith of Malik
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) Sa’a: is a type of grain measurement which is equivalent to 4 mud (4 pounds) meaning the quantity of 1120 dirham in weight according to the people of Hijaz. According to the people of Iraq it is equivalent to 8 ratal or 2 (al-Qamus ul-Wahid pg no.951)
The Sa’a of the people of Iraq has no credit or reliability in the Sharia rather only the Sa’a of the people of Hijaz meaning people of Makkah and people of Madinah is credible.
2) Mud: According to the people of Hijaz this is equivalent to 1 and 1/3 ratal. (al-Qamus ul-Wahid pg no.1532)
3) Makkah and Madinah has the honour of being more virtous than all other cities.
4) In one narration the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) made a dua a few times for Yemen and Sham to be blessed. The third or fourth time people said, “O Messenger of Allah, and (make a dua for blessings) in our Iraq” so he (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “There will be earthquakes and fitnas in it and the horn of Shaitan will come out from it.” (al-Mu’jam al-Kabir of at-Tabarani 12/384 hadith no.13422, and it’s chain is [Hasan] and the hadith has a Shahid (witnessing report) in Hilyatul Awliya of Abi Na’im (6/133) and it’s chain is [Hasan] therefore this hadith is [Sahih])
From this it is known that Iraq (east of Madinah) is the place where fitnas and misguided sects will come out from and this is the the Najd which the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) foretold of therefore there is no need to provide the measurements of Iraq in comparison to the measurements of Makkah and Madinah.
For further details see hadith no.293
5) The meaning of these narrations does not mean that all the people of Iraq are wrong and misguided rather there are some people in Iraq who were really good and still are good. The intent of these narrations is to condemn the majority in normal circumstances.