Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Necessary Tasks To Do Before Going To Sleep
 From Malik from Abu az-Zubair from Jabir Ibn Abdullah as-Sulami (Radi Allahu Anhu) that the the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said,”Close the doors, put the lids on the waterskins, turn the vessels over or cover them and extinguish the lamps because without a shadow of a doubt Shaitan does not open a closed door and does not open the waterskin, and does not uncover the vessels. And the mouse sets fire to people’s houses.”
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
[REFERENCES] – [MUSLIM]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (2/928, 929 hadith no.1791, book 49, chapter 10, hadith no.21), at-Tamhid (12/173) and al-Istidhkar (no.1724)
Transmitted by Muslim (no.2012) from the hadith of Malik and narrated by Laith Ibn Sa’d from Abu az-Zubair with Muslim (96/2012)
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) Islam is a complete religion which has the explanation and solution to the smallest of things as well as the biggest of principles and beliefs etc. If people fully acted upon the religion of Islam then the dunya would be a hub of peace and security.
2) The wisdom behind putting out the lamps out is so that through Allah’s grace the house is protected from accidentally catching on fire all of a sudden because it may be possible that a mouse comes along and carries the candlewick of the burning lamp and throws it somewhere which causes the house to catch on fire.
3) The Shayatin (and Jinn) have not been given the ability to open closed doors or uncover the lids of pots.
4) The water container which is kept at night for wudhu should be covered so that it is secure against the wickedness of Shaitan, bugs, insects and other harmful pests.
5) The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) was very compassionate and merciful towards the believers rather he was a mercy for all of the creation. He (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) told his Ummah about all the things which are good for them in this life and in the hereafter. (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam)
6) Exiting from Allah’s obedience is called Fisq and being harmful to the Muslims is exiting Allah’s obedience. The mouse is called a fasiq because it harms people.