Sharḥ ʿUmdatul Aḥkām
Kitāb al-Aṭʿimah – The Book of Eating
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
The Meat of Domestic Donkeys
 Narrated Jabir bin `Abdullah (Radi Allahu Anhu):
The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) prohibited eating domestic donkey meat and allowed the eating of horse flesh. (Narrated by Bukhari)
And (narrated) by Muslim (by Jabir bin ‘Abdullah) We ate during the time of Khaibar the (flesh) of horses and of wild donkeys, but Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) prohibited us (to eat) the flesh of domestic donkeys.
[GRADING] – [NARRATED BY BUKHARI]
Bukhari, Book of Hunting, Slaughtering, Chapter: The meat of domestic donkeys, [no. 5520],
Muslim, Book of The Book of Hunting, Slaughter, and what may be Eaten, Chapter: Chapter: The permissibility of eating horse meat, [no.1941]
Abu Dawud [no.3788], Nasai [7:210], Ahmad [3:361], Baihaqi [9:326], Darimi [no.1993], Ibn al-Jarud [no.885]
Also see the previous hadith.
[RULINGS FROM THE HADITH]
1) It is unlawful i.e. haram to eat the meat of domestic donkeys. see also the hadith of Amr ibn Shuʿayb with a similar meaning. Ahmad [2:219], Abu Dawud [no.3811], Nasai [7:239], Baihaqi [9:333], Hakim [2:103]. There are also numerous narrations in this regard also in Ibn Hibban and Ahmad.
2) Some hadith mention the reason it is impermissible to eat their meat is because they are unclean and unhygienic animals [Bukhari no.5528, 4198] Muslim [no.1940]. The hadith of Amr ibn Shuʿayb above mentions also animals that eat filth.
3) The hadith of Bukhari [no.5527], Muslim [no.1936] mentions when eating the meat of domestic donkeys was announced the companions were cooking the meat at the very instance and whilst demonstrating great love and understanding of this Dīn and reverential love for the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wasallam); they drained and spilt their dishes.
4) Both cooked and uncooked meat of donkeys is unlawful as per the hadith of Bara (Radi Allahu Anhu) Bukhari [no.4226]
5) It is lawful and thus permissible to eat horse (meat). See previous hadith no.370
6) It is permissible however to eat the meat of wild donkeys. See Muslim [no.1194, 1196]