Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Qiyam Ramadan (Tarawih, Tahajud) and Other Optional Prayers Can be Performed in Congregation Sometimes
 And with the same chain of narration that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) prayed in the mosque one night and people prayed behind him. Then he prayed the next night and there were more people. Then they gathered on the third or fourth night and the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) did not come out to them. In the morning, he said, “I saw what you were doing and the only thing that prevented me from coming out to you was that I feared that it would become obligatory (fard) for you.” This happened in Ramadan.
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Shihab az-Zuhri clarified hearing (this hadith from Urwa Ibn az-Zubayr) in Bukhari (no.924)
[REFERENCES] – [AGREED UPON]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration 1/113 hadith no.246, book 6, chapter 1, hadith no.1) at-Tamhid (8/108), al-Istidhkar: (no.217)
Transmitted by Bukhari (no.1129) and Muslim (no.761) from the hadith of Malik.
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) The tarawih prayer is sunnah and not wajib (obligatory) or fard (compulsory). (Sahih Muslim (174/759) and Muwatta Yahya’s narration (1/113) hadith (no.247))
2) Since the fear of (it) being made compulsory in not applicable, the Tarawi prayer in a group is more virtuous. See hadith (no.29) understanding point: (no.1)
3) There is ijma that there is no adhan or iqamah for the optional [nawafil] (prayers) (Tarawi etc.). (at-Tamhid (8/108))
4) The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Was-Sallam) was very compassionate and caring (sympathetic) towards his Umma.
5) There is a big difference (of opinion) of the noble scholars on the number of (rakas of) Tarawi. See at-Tamhid (8/113) and Umda ul-Qari of Ayni (11/126), Hawi lil- Fatawa (1/348), Mufham li Mashakil Min Talkhis Kitab Muslim (2/389) and Sunan at-Tirmidhi (no.806) Qurtubi (died 686 hijri) said, “And most of the scholars have said that 11 rakas should be prayed, they have used the previous (mentioned) hadith as proof in this (issue). (al-Mufham (2/390)
6) The claim of 20 rakas being ijma is false. Imam Shafi’i said, “if the rakas are less and the standing is long then it is better and this is what i prefer. (Summarised from Maqrizi’s Mukhtasar Qiyam ul Layl of al-Marwazi (pg.202, 203), An overview verification of the number of rakas of Qiyam Ramadhan (pg.85)
7) This hadith shows the passion (and zeal) of the noble companions (Radhi Allahu Anhum) for worship.