Itihaf ul-Basim Fi Tahqiq Muwatta al-Imam Malik [Talkhis al-Qabisi] Riwayah Abdur Rahman ibn al-Qasim
Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
It Is Necessary To Perform A Walima (Wedding Banquet) Even If It Is Small
 From Malik that Humaid at-Tawil narrated to me from Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) that Abdur-Rahman bin `Auf came to Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and he had marks of Sufra (yellow perfume). Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) asked him (about those marks). `AbdurRahman bin `Auf told him that he had married a woman from the Ansar. The Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) asked, “How much Mahr (Dowry) did you pay her?” He said, “I paid gold equal to the weight of a date stone.” Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said to him, “Give a wedding banquet, even if with one sheep.”
[GRADING] – [SAHIH]
[REFERENCES] – [BUKHARI]
Al-Muwatta (Yahya’s narration (2/548, hadith no.1184, book 28, chapter 21, hadith no.47), at-Tamhid (2/178) and al-Istidhkar (no.1104)
Transmitted by Bukhari (no.5153) from the hadith of Malik and narrated by Muslim (81/1427) from the hadith of Humaid at-Tawil and he clarified hearing in Bukhari (no.5072)
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1) It is Sunah to perform a Walima to the best of your ability.
2) It is better to give the dowry during the time of nikah or wedding day.
3) It is allowed to marry someone who is not from your tribe. See point no.5
4) The dowry can be a lot and it can be a little, a specific amount has not been established. However one should not be very extravagant just as Umar (Radi Allahu Anhu) commanded. See Sunan Abi Dawud (no.2106) and Musnad Ahmad (1/48 hadith no.340 and it is [Hasan])
The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “The best Nikah is the one which is easy.” (Sahih Ibn Hiban, al-Ihsan no.4060 (other manuscript no.4072) and it’s chain is [Sahih], Sunan Abi Dawud no.2117, and authenticated by al-Hakim 2/181, 182 on the conditions of the two Shaykhs and adh-Dhahabi agreed with him)
5) It is completely correct and allowed to marry someone who is from your tribe or someone who is not from your tribe.
6) Only Allah the Most High knows the unseen.
7) From this hadith it is also known that the concept of a traditional Barat (T.N. i.e. a groom’s wedding procession where it is customary for the bridegroom to travel to the wedding venue (often the bride’s house) in a vehicle (traditionally being a mare), accompanied by his family members (typically carried out by those who are from the Indian Subcontinent)) does not exist in Islam, because how could it be possible that the companion did not take the most beloved person of his, Muhamad the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam), with his Barat.