Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Reciting at-Tahiyat In The Salah And Sending Salam Upon the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam)
Abul Abas Ahmad Ibn Shaiban Ibn Taglib Ibn Haider ash-Shaibani informed us, it was read to him and I heard it in the year 684 Hijri, Abu Hafs Umar Ibn Muhamad Ibn Tabarzad al-Bagdadi informed us, it was read to him, Abu Galib Ahmad Ibn al-Hasan Ibn Ahmad Ibn Abdillah Ibn al-Bana informed us, it was read to him and we heard, Abu Muhamad al-Hasan Ibn Ali Ibn Muhamad Ibn al-Hasan Ibn Abdillah al-Jawhari informed us, it was read to him in the month of Ramadhan in the year of 752 Hijri, Abu Bakr Ahmad Ibn Ja’far Ibn Hamdan Ibn Malik al-Qati’i informed us, it was read to him and I was present and I heard, Abu Ali Bishr Ibn Musa Ibn Salih al-Asadi narrated to us, Abu Nua’im narrated to us, al-‘Amash narrated to us, from Shaqiq Ibn Salama, he said Abdullah (Ibn Mas’ud) (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, Whenever we prayed behind the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) we used to recite (in sitting) ‘Peace be on Allah and other than on his slaves, Peace be upon Gabriel and Michael, peace be on so and so. Once Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) looked back at us and said, ‘Allah Himself is As-Salam (Peace), and if anyone of you prays (salah) then he should say, at-Tahiyatu li l-lahi was salawatu wat taiyibat. As-salamu `alalika aiyuhanu Nabiyu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. Assalamu `alaina wa `ala `ibadi l-lahi s-salihin. (All the compliments, prayers and good things are due to Allah; peace be on you, O Prophet, and Allah’s mercy and blessings [be on you]. Peace be on us an on the pious subjects of Allah). (If you say that, it (the reward) will reach all the subjects in the heaven and the earth)*. Ash-hadu al-la ilaha illa l-lah, wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan `Abduhu wa Rasuluh. (I testify that there is no Deity [worthy of worship in truth] but Allah, and I testify that Muhammad is His slave and His Apostle).
Reported by al-Bukhari [From al-Yarbu’i from Zuhair Ibn Mu’awiya]*, and reported by Muslim from Ibn al-Muthana from Gundar from Shu’ba from Mansur and both of them from Shaqiq.
He was born in the year 599 Hijri. He died in the month of Safar in the year 685 Hijri.
[GRADING AND REFERENCES] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Taymiyah narrated this hadith through the chain of Abu Bakr Ahmad Ibn Ja’far al-Qati’i and this is present in Abu Bakr al-Qati’i’s book Juz al-Alf Dinar (no.204).
Also narrated by Bukhari (no.831) through the chain of Abu Nu’aim al-Fadal Ibn Dakin. Bukhari and Muslim (no.204) both narrated it from the chain of Sulaiman al-‘Amash.
For the clarification of hearing of ‘Amash see Sahih Bukhari (no.831)
*  from the manuscript
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1. The saying in the hadith of ‘peace be on you O Prophet’ means peace be upon the Prophet’, which is established from a hadith of Sahih Bukhari (no.6265)
2. The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) has left this world and is not present with us anymore.
3. There are other words that are established for the recitation of at-Tahiyat. It is allowed to act upon authentic and established hadith on the condition that the hadith is not abrogated and that a preventative factor is not present.
4. It is obligatory to follow the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam).
5. The hadith is also revelation.
6. Reciting and learning the ahadith is the sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and this is what the companions (Radi Allahu Anhum) practiced.
[BIOGRAPHY OF THE NARRATOR OF THE HADITH]
Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (Radi Allahu Anhu)
A summarised comprehensive biography of Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (Radi Allahu Anhu) is as follows:
Name and lineage:
Abu Abdurahman Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud Gafil Ibn Habib Ibn Shamakh Ibn Far Ibn Makhzum Ibn Sahilah Ibn Kahil Ibn al-Harith Ibn Tamim Ibn Sa’d Ibn Huthail Ibn Mudarikah Ibn Ilyas Ibn Madar Ibn Nazar al-Huthali al-Maki al-Badri al-Muhajir (Radi Allahu Anhu)
He is also called Ibn Um Abd.
He was born around 30 years before the Hijra to Madina.
Aswad Ibn Yazid, Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu), Bara Ibn Azib (Radi Allahu Anhu), Jabir Ibn Abdullah al-Ansari (Radi Allahu Anhu), Ribi Ibn Harash, Zathan Abu Umar al-Kindi, Zir Ibn Hubaish, Zaid Ibn Wahb, Sa’d Ibn Ayas ash-Shaibani, Abu Sa’id al-Khudri (Radi Allahu Anhu), Shuraih Ibn al-Harith, Abu Wa’il Shaqiq Ibn Salamah, Abu Umama al-Bahili (Radi Allahu Anhu), Sulah Ibn Zafar, Tariq Ibn Shihab (Radi Allahu Anhu), Abu Tufail Amir Ibn Wathilah (Radi Allahu Anhu), Abdullah Ibn Zubair (Radi Allahu Anhu), Abdullah Ibn Abbas (Radi Allahu Anhu), Abdullah Ibn Umar (Radi Allahu Anhu), Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (Radi Allahu Anhu), Abdurahman Ibn Abi Layla, Abu Uthman Abdurahman Ibn Mil an-Nahdi, Ubaidah Ibn Amr as-Salmani, Alqama Ibn Qais an-Nakha’i and Masruq Ibn al-Ajda’ and other than them. (See Tahdhib al-Kamal 4/284- 285)
Acceptance Of Islam:
He became a Muslim during the early days of Islam. His status is of the as-Sabiqun al-Awalun.
He has many virtues. Some of those virtues are below:
1. He migrated to Ethiopia during the Makkan period.
2. He was present in the battle of Badr and all the other battles (which contained the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam)).
3. It is narrated from Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn al-As (Radi Allahu Anhu) that I love Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (Radi Allahu Anhu) because I heard Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) saying, ‘ Learn the recitation of the Qur’an from (any of these) four persons: `Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud, Salim the freed slave of Abu Hudhaifa, Ubai bin Ka`b, and Mu`adh bin Jabal.” He (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) first mentioned Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud. (Radi Allahu Anhum) (Sahih Bukhari no.3758, Sahih Muslim no.2464)
4. Abu ad-Darda (Radi Allahu Anhu) said about Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (Radi Allahu Anhu) that he was the one who used to carry the shoes, cushion (or prepare the bed i.e. duvet and pillow) and the water for ablution for the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam). (Sahih Bukhari no.3742)
5. Hudhaifah Ibn al-Yaman (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, I do not know anybody resembling the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) (to some extent) in appearance and conduct more than Ibn Um `Abd (i.e. Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (Radi Allahu Anhu)). (Sahih Bukhari no.3762) Meaning he followed the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) completely and was a mirror image of him (in terms of behavior).
6. Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (Radi Allahu Anhu) said, My brother and I came from Yemen, and for some time we continued to consider `Abdullah Ibn Mas`ud (Radi Allahu Anhu) as one of the members of the family of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) because we used to see him and his mother going in the house of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) very often.(Sahih Bukhari no.3763, Sahih Muslim no.2460)
7. A whole book is needed to mention the virtues and life of Ibn Mas’ud (Radi Allahu Anhu).
He had a wheatish complexion, short in height and had a thin body. (See al-Kamal Ma’a al-Mishka vol no.3, pg no.692, and Mustadrak al-Hakim 3/313 hadith no.5370 and it’s chain is [Hasan] good)
Knowledge Of Narrations:
There are 64 of his ahadith present in the Sahihain and there are 840 ahadith present in the Musnad of Baqi Ibn Makhlad. (See Sir ‘Alam an-Nubala 1/462)
There are 2 narrations from him in al-Arba’un fi al-Hath alal Jihad of Ibn Asakir, no.3 and no.39
In the Battlefield:
He was present in the battle of Badr and all the other Prophetic battles.
He fell ill for a few days and died in Madina (in 32 Hijri or 33 Hijri). He was 63 years old at that time. (Radi Allahu Anhu). (See Tarikh al-Islam of adh-Dhahabi 3/389)