Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Hadith Number 7
Saying Alhamdullilah After Sneezing And The Description Of Replying To It
Ash-Shaikh al-Adl Rashidudin Abu Abdullah Muhamad Ibn Abi Bakr Muhamad Ibn Muhamad Ibn Sulaiman al-‘Amiri informed us: and i read it to him in and heard it in the year 669 Hijri, and it was mentioned to them with the chain all the way to al-Ansari, he said: at-Taimi narrated to me, Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) narrated to us, he said Two men sneezed in the presence of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam). The Prophet (Sallalhu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said to one of them, “Yarhamukullah (May Allah bestow His Mercy on you),” but he did not say that to the other. On being asked (why), the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “That one said Alhamdullilah (praised Allah) (at the time of sneezing), while the other did not praise Allah.”
Narrated by al-Bukhari from Muhamad Ibn Kathir from Sufyan ath-Thawri. Narrated by Muslim from Muhamad Ibn Abdullah Ibn Numair from Hafs Ibn Giyath both of them from Sulaiman (Ibn tarkhan) at-Taimi
He died in Dhul Hijah in the year 682 Hijri.
[GRADING AND REFERENCES] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Taymiyyah’s chain of narration is Sahih
Imam Bukhari has narrated it from the chain of:
“Muhamad Ibn Kathir (said) Sufyan narrated to us (he said) Sulaiman narrated to us” (no.6221)
“Shu’ba (he said) Sulaiman at-Taimi narrated to us he said I heard Anas (Radi Allahu Anhu)” (hadith no.6224)
Also Muslim narrated it from the chain of Hafs Ibn Giyath from Sulaiman at-Taimi. (hadith no.2991, Darusalam numbering: no.7486)
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1. It is sunnah to say Alhamdullilah straight after sneezing.
2. If someone says Alhamdullilah after sneezing (and you hear it) then it is necessary to say Yarhamukullah (May Allah bestow His Mercy on you) as a reply and (the person who sneezed and says Alhamdullilah) should reply by saying Yahdikumullah wa Yuslahu balakum (May Allah guide you and set your affairs straight). (See Sahih Bukhari no.6224)
Note: The only exception where you do not have to do the above is only whilst a person has a cold.
3. Nafi narrated that: “A man sneezed beside Ibn ‘Umar (Radi Allahu Anhu) and said: ‘Al-Hamdulillah Was-Salamu ‘Ala Rasulillah. (All praise is due to Allah, and peace upon the Messenger of Allah)’. So Ibn ‘Umar said: ‘I too (could) say Al-Hamdulillah Was-Salamu ‘Ala Rasulillah, but this is not what the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) taught us. He taught us to say: “Al-Hamdulillah ‘Ala Kulli Hal (All praise is due to Allah in every circumstance).” (Sunan at-Tirmidhi no.2738 and he said: Garib, Mustadrak al-Hakim 4/265-266 hadith no.7691 and al-Hakim authenticated it and adh-Dhahabi agreed with him and its chain is Hasan)
4. Salvation only lies in acting upon the sunnah
5. You should remember Allah in all circumstances
6. See hadith no.4 for the biography of the narrator