Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Boycotting Between Muslims
Najibudin Abul Murhaf al-Miqdad Ibn Abil Qasim Hibatillah Ibn al-Miqdad Ibn Ali al-Qaysi informed us, it was read to him and i heard it, Abu Muhamad Abdul Aziz Ibn Mahmud Ibn al-Mubarak Ibn al-Akhdar informed us, it was read to him, Abu Bakr Muhamad Ibn Abdul Baqi al-Ansari informed us, Abu Ishaq al-Barumaki informed us, Abu Muhamad Ibn Masi informed us, Abu Muslim al-Kaji narrated to us, Muhamad Ibn Abdillah al-Ansari narrated to us, Sulayman at-Taymi narrated to me, from Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) he said, that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said,
“It is not allowed for a Muslim to boycott another Muslim for more then 3 days (or he said 3 nights).”
[GRADING AND REFERENCES] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Taymiyah narrated this hadith through the chain of Abu Muslim al-Kaji and before him Khara’ati (Makramul Akhlaq no.253) and Khatabi (al-Azlah no.4) have also narrated it from Abu Muslim.
Also Khatib Bagdadi narrated it from another chain from Abu Muhamad Ibn Masi meaning Abdullah Ibn Ibrahim Ibn Ayub (who is a narrator in the chain from Ibn Taymiyah) (Tarikh Bagdad 3/312)
For authentic witnessing reports of this hadith please see Sahih Bukhari (no.6065) and Sahih Muslim (no.2559) and other than them.
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1. It is haram for Muslims to hate, be jealous and boycott each other. However from other evidences it is established that one can boycott based on Shar’ia compliant excuses. It is wajib to hate and boycott the kuffar, mushrikin, ahlul bid’ah and rejecters of the religion (because of their misguided beliefs), rather sometimes it is allowed to boycott some Muslim sinners.
2. It is allowed to have envy for those who do good deeds and be competitive in carrying out good deeds.
3. Three companions (Radi Allahu Anhum) stayed behind during the battle of Tabuk without having any Shari’a compliant excuse and due to this they were boycotted for fifty days. See Surah at-Tawbah (no.118), Sahih Bukhari (no.4418) and Sahih Muslim (no.2769)
4. Umar (Radi Allahu Anhu) said about the rejecters of Taqdir (people of Bid’ah), “I am free from them and they are free from me.” (Sahih Muslim no.8, Darusalam numbering no.93)
5. Ibn Umar (Radi Allahu Anhu) did not reply to the salam of a person of Bid’ah. See Sunan at-Tirmidhi (no.2152 and it’s chain is Hasan and Tirmidhi said, “This hadith is Hasan Sahih”
6. Also see my book: The ruling of praying behind a person of Bid’ah
7. For the biography of the narrator see hadith no.4