Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
The Virtues Of Fasting
ash-Shaikh al-Imam as-Sadr ar-Ra’is Shamsudin Abul Gana’im al-Muslim Ibn Muhamad Ibn al-Muslim Ibn Alan al-Qaysi informed us, it was read to him and i heard it in the year 680 Hijri, and Abul Hasan Ibn al-Bukhari, they both said, Abul Yaman Zayd Ibn al-Hasan Ibn Zayd al-Kindi informed us, it was read to him, al-Qadhi Abu Bakr Muhamad Ibn Abdil Baqi Ibn Muhamad al-Ansari informed us, Abu Muhamad al-Hasan Ibn Ali Ibn Muhamad Ibn al-Hasan al-Jawhari narrated to us, it was dictated, Abu Bakr Ahmad Ibn Ja’far Ibn Hamdan Ibn Malik al-Qati’i informed us, Bishr Ibn Musa narrated to us, Abu Nu’aym narrated to us, al-‘Amash narrated to us, from Abu Saleh, From Abu Huraira (Radi Allahu Anhu), he said, the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said,
“Allah said: The Fast is for Me and I will give the reward for it, as he (the one who observes the fast) leaves his sexual desire, food and drink for My Sake. Fasting is a shield and there are two pleasures for a fasting person, one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other at the time when he will meet his Rab. And the smell of the mouth of a fasting person is better in Allah’s Sight than the smell of musk.”
He was born in the year 594 Hijri. And he died on the sixth of Dhul Hijjah the year 680 Hijri
[GRADING AND REFERENCES] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Taymiyyah narrated this hadith through the chain of Abu Bakr al-Qati’i and this hadith is in al-Qati’i’s book Juz al-Alf Dinar. (pg.320, hadith no.208)
Imam Bukhari also transmitted it from the chain of Abu Nu’aym al-Fadl Ibn Dakin (no.7492)
Imam Muslim transmitted it from another chains through Sulayman al-‘Amash (no.1151).
Ahmad Ibn Hanbal (2/480 hadith no.10218) and Ibn Hibban (al-Ihsan no.3415) transmitted it through the chain of Shu’ba from al-‘Amash.
Note: The narration of Imam Shu’ba from ‘Amash means that ‘Amash heard this narration from his teacher. (See al-Fath al-Mubin pg.43 1st publication) [TN ie their is no tadlis]
Therefore from this principal the clarification of hearing has been established in this hadith.
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1. This is a Qudsi Hadith.
2. It is obligatory on every Mukallif (a muslim who has reached the age of puberty and is accountable for his /her actions which s/he must fulfill) to fast the month of Ramadhan. Additionally, there is a great reward in keeping optional fasts.
3. Fasting is a shield which can help a person from falling into sins. (This is because fasting makes you remember Allah at the moment when an opportunity to do sin arises and consequently you abstain from the sin knowing it may nullify the fast)
4. The smell from the mouth of a fasting person is better than musk. (This will be on the day of judgement as mentioned in Sahih Muslim no.1151)
5. Correct beliefs and performing righteous actions will be rewarded; on the condition that they are done for the sake of Allah and He is pleased with them.
6. See hadith no.8 for the biography of the narrator.