Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
A Treasure Of Jannah
ash-Shaikh al-Imam al-Alim az-Zahid Qadhi ul-Qudha Shamsudin Abu Muhamad Abdurahman Ibn Abi Umar Muhamad Ibn Ahmad Ibn Muhamad Ibn Qudamah al-Maqdisi al-Hanbali informed us, it was read to him and i heard it in Sha’ban in the year 667 Hijri at Qasyun, and Ibn Shayban, and Ibn al-Asqalani, and Ibn al-Hamawi, they said, Abu Hafs Umar Ibn Muhamad Ibn Tabarzad informed us, Abul Qasim Hibatullah Ibn Muhamad Ibn Abdulwahid Ibn al-Husain informed us, Abu Talib Muhamad Ibn Muhamad Ibn Ibrahim Ibn Gaylan al-Bazaz informed us, Abu Bakr Muhamad Ibn Abdillah Ibn Ibrahim ash-Shafi’i informed us, Muhamad Ibn Maslama al-Wasiti narrated to us, Yazid Ibn Harun narrated to us, Sulayman at-Taymi narrated to us, from Abu Uthman an-Nahdi, from Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (Abdullah Ibn Qays) (Radi Allahu Anhu), he said,
“We were (on a journey) with Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and the people were passing over a high place overlooking a valley (i.e. a mountain pass). Whenever a person walked uphill he said, “There is no diety that has the right to be worshipped in truth except Allah and Allah is the greatest.” The narrator said that i think the person said it in a loud voice. The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) was on his mule journeying on the mountain edge, then he (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “O Abu Musa!*, you are not calling a deaf or an absent one” then he (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “O Abdullah Ibn Qays or O Abu Musa! Shall I tell you a sentence which is one of the treasures of Paradise?” I said, “Yes, O Allah’s Messenger (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam)! He said, “Say: La Hawla Wa La Quwata Illah Billah”
He was born in the year 597 Hijri. And he died in the year 682 Hijri
[GRADING AND REFERENCES] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Taymiyyah narrated this hadith through the chain of Abu Bakr ash-Shafi’i. In addition, this hadith is written in the book al-Giylaniyat of Abu Bakr ash-Shafi’i. (Manuscript pg.24, published version pg.143, other manuscript pg.150)
Also Abu Bakr Muhamad Ibn Abdullah Ibn Ibrahim ash-Shafi’i (died 354 Hijri) narrated it through the chain of “Ibrahim Ibn Abdullah narrated to us, al-Ansari narrated to us, he said, Sulayman (at-Taymi) narrated to us.
Bukhari (no.4202), Muslim (no.2704), Tirmidhi (no.3374) and other than them have narrated it through the chain of Abu Uthman Abdurahman Ibn an-Nahdi.
Imam Tirmidhi said, “This hadith is Hasan Sahih”, he also said (after narrating the hadith which included additional words of the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) that), “The meaning of the words “He is between you and between the heads of your mounts” ‘ is Allah’s knowledge and power.” (hadith no.3374, the book of chapter no.3)
* In the manuscript it has the words ‘O humankind’ instead of ‘O Aba Musa’ in this place
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1. It is sunnah it say Allahu Akbar and La ilaha Illalah whilst ascending with a low to medium voice. (Also see point no.2)
2. It is established to say Subhan Allah whilst descending. (See Sahih Bukhari hadith no.2993, no.2994)
3. You should avoid speaking in a loud voice if there is a threat of an undercover attack or ambush during a Jihad scenario. It is not allowed to shout out slogans or do a rallying cry during journeys.
4. It is more virtuous to read all the adhkar silently except for those which have been established to be read loudly for e.g. saying Amin loudly in the audible salah.
5. The meaning of Allah being close and in the company of others is that His knowledge and power encompass everyone just as it is established from the consensus of the righteous predecessors.
Imam Abu Umar at-Talmanki (died 429 Hijri) said, “There is a consensus of the Muslims of Ahlus Sunnah that the meaning of “…and He is with you wherever you are…” (al-Hadid no.4) and Quranic ayat like it, is Allah’s knowledge and He is above the seven heavens and has rose over His throne in a manner that suits His Majesty. (Dar Ta’arud al-Aql Wa an-Naql of Ibn Taymiyah 3/319, Kitab al-Ulu al-Aliy al-Gafar written by al-Hafidh adh-Dhahabi 2/1315 hadith no.526, Tahqiqi Maqalat 5/102)
Shaikh ul-Islam Imam Abdullah Ibn Mubarak al-Marwazi (died 181 Hijri) said, “Allah is above the seven heavens on His throne. and we do not say that He is on this Earth just as the Jahmiyah say. (al-Asma Wa as-Sifat of al-Bayhaqi 2/335 hadith no.902, al-Ulu al-Aliy al-Gafar 2/987 hadith no.361 and adh-Dhahabi authenticated it from Ali Ibn al-Hasan Ibn Shaqiq and he is trustworthy)
6. It is really good to read La Hawla Wa La Quawata Ila Billah because it is a treasure from one of the treasures of Jannah.
7. You should always think highly of educating and nurturing your students, relatives, friends and colleagues.
8. The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) was the best teacher and a mercy for all the creatures.
9. Allah the Most High is hearing, seeing and is close.
[BIOGRAPHY OF THE NARRATOR OF THE HADITH]
Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (Radi Allahu Anhu)
A Summarised comprehensive biography of Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (Radi Allahu Anhu) is as follows:
Name and lineage:
Abu Musa Abdullah Ibn Qays Ibn Sulaym Ibn Hadhar Ibn Harb Ibn Amir Ibn Atr Ibn Bakr Ibn Amir Ibn Udhar Ibn Wa’il Ibn Najiyah Ibn Jumahir Ibn al-Ash’ar al-Ash’ari (Radi Allahu Anhu)
Aswad Ibn Yazid an-Nakha’i, Anas Ibn Malik al-Ansari (Radi Allahu Anhu), al-Hasan al-Basri, Hitan Ibn Abdullah ar-Riqashi, Rabi Ibn Harash, Zahdam Ibn Mudrib al-Jurmi, Zayd Ibn Wahb al-Juhani, Abu Sa’id al-Khudri (Radi Allahu Anhu), Sa’id Ibn Jubayr, Sa’id Ibn al-Musayib, Abu Wa’il Shaqiq Ibn Salamah al-Asadi, Tariq Ibn Shihab, Amir ash-Shu’bi, Abdullah Ibn Buraydah, Abu Abdurahman Abdullah Ibn Habib as-Sulami, Abdurahman Ibn Ganam al-Ash’ari, Abu Uthman Abdurahman Ibn Mal an-Nahdi, Alqamah Ibn Qays an-Nakha’i, Qays Ibn Abi Hazim, Masruq, Abu Burdah Ibn Abi Musa and Abu Bakr Ibn Abi Musa and other than them.
1. The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said to Abu Musa (Radi Allahu Anhu), “That the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said to him’ “O Abu Musa! You have been given one of the mazamir (sweet melodious voices) of the family of David.'”
(Sahih Bukhari no.5048, Sahih Muslim no.793, Sunan at-Tirmidhi no.3855, and he said, “Garib Hasan Sahih”)
There is an established hadith from the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) with the same meaning from Buraydah (Radi Allahu Anhu) without Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (Radi Allahu Anhu) being present.
(See Sahih Muslim no.793, Darusalam numbering 1851)
Also see Sunan Ibn Majah (hadith no.1341, from Abu Huraira (Radi Allahu Anhu) and its chain is [Hasan] good)
2. Iyadh Ibn Amr al-Ash’ari (Radi Allahu Anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said about Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (Radi Allahu Anhu), “The meaning of the ayah “Allah will bring forth [in place of them] a people He will love and who will love Him” (al-Ma’idah ayah no.54) refers to you and your people.” (al-Mustadrak al-Hakim 2/313 hadith no.3220, the meaning and chain is Hasan good)
3. Anas Ibn Malik (Radi Allahu Anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said, “Tomorrow some people will come to you who have more empathy to Islam than you.” (Musnad Ahmad 3/155, hadith no.12582, and its chain is authentic)
Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (Radi Allahu Anhu) was present in those people who came that are mentioned in the above hadith.
There are numerous virtues and merits of him just as Hafidh Mizi has written. (Tahdhib al-Kamal 4/244)
4. Hafidh Ibn Hajr said, “He was a famous companion (Radi Allahu Anhu). Umar (Radi Allahu Anhu) appointed him as Amir (of Kufah and Basrah) and afterwards Uthman (Radi Allahu Anhu) appointed him. During the battle of Siffin he was one of the two judges. (Taqhrib at-Tahdhib no.3542)
5. The Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said as part of a hadith, “…O Allah! forgive the sins of Abdullah Ibn Qays (Abu Musa al-Ash’ari) and admit him to a noble entrance (i.e. paradise) on the Day of Resurrection.”(Sahih Bukhari no.4323, Sahih Muslim no.2498)
6. He (Radi Allahu Anhu) accepted the good news of the Messenger of Allah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam). (Sahih Bukhari no.4328, Sahih Muslim no.2497, Darusalam numbering no.6405)
Knowledge Of Narrations:
There are 360 ahadith present in the Musnad of Imam Baqi Ibn Makhlad. In the Sahihayn there are 49 ahadith which have been narrated by him.
In al-Arba’in fil Hath Alal Jihad of Ibn Asakir there is one hadith which is no.17.
In The Battle Field:
He was present in the battle of Khaybar and also participated in the other Jihadi expeditions. (Radi Allahu Anhu)
50 Hijri or after it. 74 and Allah knows best.
Some people have also said that it is 42 Hijri. According to adh-Dhahabi the most correct is 44 Hijri. (an-Nubala 2/398)
There is a narration which goes against him in the book al-Ma’rifah wa at-Tarikh of al-Imam Ya’qub Ibn Sufyan al-Farisi (2/771) and Tarikh Dimishq of Ibn Asakir. However this chain is weak due to the An of the Mudalis A’mash. (For the narration see Sir ‘Alam an-Nubala 2/393- 394)