Tahqiq, Takhrij, Sharh
Muhadith Zubair Ali Zai
Translated Abu Ubaydah
Translated, Checked & Additional Notes
Abu Hibban & Abu Khuzaimah Ansaari
Hadith Number 15
It Is Prohibited To Make Ruku Or Sujud Before The Imam
al-Adl al-Musnad Aminudin Abu Muhamad al-Qasim Ibn Abi Bakr Ibn Qasim Ibn Gunaymah al-Irbili informed us, and Abu Bakr Ibn Umar Ibn Yunus al-Mizi al-Hanafi, and Abu Abdillah Muhamad Ibn Muhamad Ibn Sulaiman al-Amiri, it was read to them and i heard it in the year 677 Hijri, the first one said, Abul Hasan al-Muayad [Ibn Muhamad Ibn Ali at-Tusi it was read to him and i heard it, Abu Abdullah Muhamad Ibn al-Fadl Ibn Ahmad al-Farawi]  and the other two have said, Abul Qasim Abdusamad Ibn al-Harastani informed us, it was read to him, al-Farawi ijazah informed us, Abul Husain Abdul Gafir Ibn Muhamad Ibn Abdil Gafir al-Farisi, Abu Ahmad Muhamad Ibn Esa Ibn Amr Wayhil Juludi informed us, Abu Ishaq Ibrahim Ibn Muhamad Ibn Sufyan informed us, Muslim Ibn al-Hajaj al-Qushairi narrated to us, Khalf ibn Hisham narrated to us, and Abu Rabi az-Zahrani, and Qutaibah ibn Said, all of them from Hamad, he said Khalaf, Hamad ibn Zaid narrated to us, from Muhamad Ibn Ziyad, Abu Hurairah (Radi Allahu Anhu) narrated to us that he said, Muhamad (the Messenger of Allah) (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said,
“Does the man who lifts his head ahead of the Imam (from prostration) not fear that Allah may change his head into the head of a donkey?”
He was born in al-Irbil in the year 595 Hijri or before it in Irbil. And he died in the month of Jamadil Ula in the year 680 Hijri
And al-Muzani was born in the year 593 Hijri. And he died in the month of Shaban in the year 680 Hijri.
[GRADING AND REFERENCES] – [SAHIH]
Ibn Taymiyah narrated this hadith from Imam Muslim Ibn al-Hajaj al-Qushairi through his own chain and this narration is present in Imam Muslim’s book Sahih Muslim (hadith no.427, Darusalam numbering. 963). Walhamdullilah
Also Imam Bukhari narrated it from the chain of Muhamad Ibn Ziyad al- al-Madani
 from the manuscript
[UNDERSTANDING FROM THE HADITH]
1. It is haram to raise your head before the Imam in salah, whether that is raising your head from ruku or sujud. Also it is established from other proofs that one should not perform ruku before the imam and neither should one perform the sujud before the imam, and neither should one say the takbir before the imam and neither should one perform the salam before the imam rather one should perform all these actions after the imam.
It is narrated from Abu Hurairah (Radi Allahu Anhu) in Mawquf form that one should recite surah al-Fatiha before the Imam. (Juz Qira’ah no.154, no.181, and it’s chain is Sahih, Athar as-Sunan no.358, and an-Naymawi said it’s chain is Hasan)
From this athar it is known that reciting the Qira’ah (Opening Dua, surah al-Fatiha, other surahs), Adhkar and duas, at-Tahiyat and Durud before the imam, is allowed.
2. The apparent understanding from the hadith is that the person’s head will become distorted and changed to that of a Donkey’s and it can also mean that it is a metaphor (and the interpretation is) that Allah will make that person become extremely foolish and ignorant. and Allah knows best.
3. Some people have circulated a story which has become famous between them that a person’s head turned into the shape of a donkey and he used to hide his head in a piece of clothing.
There is no authentic source which is known for this story. Rather this is just known as a rumour. and Allah knows best.
4. This hadith also indicates and establishes to us that the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) was extremely caring for his Uma, because he told us about all the things to do with good deeds that are beneficial and prohibited us from all those actions which are incorrect and are prohibited.
5. Deviating from following the Prophet (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) can cause one to receive punishment in this world as well as the hereafter.
6. For the biography of the narrator see hadith no.8